One of the primary risks related to lithium-ion batteries is thermal runaway. Thermal runaway is a major challenge in the lithium-ion battery field due to its uncontrollable and irreversible nature, which can lead to venting of toxic fumes, fires and explosions.
If you already have an e-bike or e-scooter, here are some safety tips that can help you keep you and your loved ones safe.
Tips for using e-bikes and e-scooters safely
- Buy your e-bike or e-scooter from a reputable retailer that you know and trust.
- If you need a replacement charger or battery, get it from the original manufacturer – fake or substandard chargers can cause fires.
- Avoid buying from market stalls, or from third-party sellers on online marketplaces. There is no guarantee the product has been through product safety testing.
- To charge your e-bike or e-scooter safely, follow the manufacturer’s charging instructions.
- Once charged, unplug the charger – so you don’t leave the battery on a continuous charge.
- Avoid charging overnight. Fires occurring at night, when people are sleeping, are
particularly dangerous as your reaction time is massively reduced.
- Don’t charge your e-bike or e-scooter in an exit route like a hallway, landing or stairwell. If a fire breaks out it can block your ability to escape.
- Don’t try to modify your battery pack as these modifications can cause fires.
- Charge batteries in a safe place from a socket that is RCD protected and in an area with working smoke alarms.
- Charge preferably, outside in an enclosed space like a detached garage, shed or a designated charging area for high rise flats.
- Avoid charging batteries in strong sunlight or anywhere there is a high temperature or flammable
- If you want to convert your bike, go to a reputable retailer and have it fitted by a professional.
- If your battery catches fire, do not attempt to put it out yourself. Get out and call the fire service.
Find out more about the dangers of lithium-ion batteries in our new report Battery Breakdown.
Return to the Battery Breakdown portal.